Terminology for Industrial Perforated Plate and Screens
Terminology of perforated plate and screens for general industrial uses in round opening or square opening series.
- Aperture: the opening in a screening or sieving medium.
- Bar: the metal between perforations.
- Blank: unperforated area located other than along the perimeter of a plate.
- Break-out: term applied to the action that occurs ahead of the punch in its going through the plate.
- Centers: dimensional sum of one perforation and one bar or the dimensional distance from the center of one perforation to the center of an adjacent perforation.
- Die side: surface of the plate that was against the die during the punching operation.
- Finished end pattern: condition that occurs with some specifications of staggered pattern perforations as a result of tool design in which the pattern is completed on both ends of the plate.
- Gauge: a number designating a specific thickness of metal sheet tabulated in a standardized series, each of which represents a decimal fraction of an inch.
- Margin or border: unperforated area located along the perimeter of a plate.
- Percent open area: the ratio of the total area of the apertures to the total area expressed in percentage.
- Perforated pattern: the patterns that the perforations are arranged in, usually in a staggered pattern with midpoints nominally at the vertices of isosceles triangles or square patterns arranged in line with their midpoints nominally at the vertices of squares.
- Screen: surface provided with apertures of uniform size and shape
- Screening: process of separating a mixture of different sizes by means of one or more screen surfaces.
- Smooth side or punch side: surface of the plate that was uppermost during the punching operation and through which the punch entered the plate.
- Unfinished end pattern: condition that occurs with some specifications of staggered pattern perforations as a result of tool design.
IPSD-1: Finished end pattern for round hole perforated plate.
IPSD-2: Unfinished end pattern for round hole perforated plate.
IPSD-3: Finished end pattern for square hole perforated plate.
IPSD-4: Unfinished end pattern for squared hole perforated plate.